Sunday, July 6, 2014

Week 20 - July 7, 2014 - Yes, there was an earthquake

It was an excellent alarm clock (when it ended it was 6:25, so there was no point in going back to bed). Don't worry, we're fine. It was the first time I experienced a real earthquake, so I don't really know how to describe it. Solid earth turns not so solid, everything is moving around you but you're not. It was weird, but kind of cool at the same time. 

This week, we had several conversations with a slightly eccentric painter slash sculpture. It was interesting. He reminded us slightly of Einstein, he is EXTREMELY intelligent and eats tuna with onions, mayonnaise and peach jam. Granted, I don't know if Einstein ate his tuna with jam on tostadas, but I imagine he had weird eating habits too. I tried it - it was actually really good, and I would even dare to recommend it. 

Cinthia and her family continue to be wonderful. We helped Cinthia try to pull her little brother off the couch on Sunday morning, he got up and went into another room to lay down - we let him be after that. It was really amusing though. 

The Fourth of July my companion and I both dressed in red white and blue (even though my companion is Mexican, isn't that sweet of her?) and other than that it was a pretty regular day. Wish Happy Birthday to Gramps, please. I was thinking about him a lot on Friday. 

On Saturday we had an awesome activity with the youth. They came to learn about what it's like to be a missionary. They arrived at 6:30 am and we were finishing around 5pm - and they weren't bored or complaining! It was motivating to see their enthusiasm and see in them some of the same nervousness I had (and still sometimes have) when they were participating in the activities. 

I am thoroughly enjoying where I am and what I'm doing, earthquake or not. I'm looking forward to whatever this next week brings our way. I know it'll be what it needs to be (not trying to be cliche, but there really are no non-cliche ways to say I know what I'm doing is what I need to be doing and where I am is where I need to be). 

Mango season is over, but lots of love,
Hermana Juliana