Monday, June 16, 2014

Week 17 - June 16, 2014 - This week went really fast

Hello everyone! 

I really can't believe that it's monday again, I don't even know where the time went. 

Cinthia was baptized on Saturday!!! That was really exciting. She sent us a message Tuesday that said she finally felt like she was ready. We were in the Relief Society president's house when my companion showed me the phone, and I started jumping up and down. I met Cinthia my first week here in Mexico, and she is and will always be a dear friend. It was a special event, her mom and brothers all attended the baptism and her mom attended church the next day. I seriously love their family. 

This week the Bishop took us to a place called Carnes Asada Mixcum, which is part of the way up to Union Juarez but not quite as far. They serve every piece of cow, practically, grilled, and the interesting parts I tried were the udder and something called tripa which I have yet to translate exactly but I'm pretty sure it's the small intestine. They wouln't tell me what 'ubre' was until after I tried it, and it was actually really tender and tasty. Tripa wasn't so much, but I tried it to try it and probably won't eat it again. 

This week we also borrowed a guitar from a total stranger. My companion plays a little bit and wanted to practice to see if we could use it in a special musical number, and we were asking around, when a young woman we had just met, said. 'wait just a second, my friend Eric has one', and she went to knock on his door. We looked at each other, kind of shrugged and said, well, we'll ask! We had the guitar in our house almost the whole week. 

We had an interesting experience with Cinthia's mom. She attends a different church, and sometimes the members of that church come to her house and pray for her. We were about to start teaching a lesson when there's a knock on the door, she goes to answer and starts talking with the brothers who came. They proceed to practically invite themselves in, and the looks on their faces were kind of funny when they saw us sitting on the coach. We got up, smiling to introduce ourselves and proceeded to teach them about the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith. It was actually a really great lesson, we felt the Spirit, pretty sure they did too, and we felt the confidence that comes from being called by the prophet to remind people of who they are, children of God, with infinite eternal potential.

Love.
Hermana Juliana