Monday, June 2, 2014

Week 15 - June 2, 2014 - The rainy season

Where to start... First of all, welcome to my 'I barely decided to send out a mass email list' those of you who are not directly related to me. 

Second of all, I'm loving the rain. My companion and I only get soaked occasionally now because we finally took the advice of the members and started caring an umbrella. On Saturday though, we only had one little umbrella and a young man in the ward was accompanying us. The streets that go down the mountain turn into mini rivers on the edges, so we were getting soaked from the top and from the bottom. There was even a current, things that people had dropped three or four blocks above us were swept by in the water. My companion and Daniel both started saying - hey, you should let your shoe go and we'll run and catch it! Come on, it'll be fun! When they finally convinced me that they weren't going to let my shoe be lost forever, I kicked it off and off they went, running down the street to catch that plastic shoe. If only I had a waterproof camera!

This week, we had a really awesome experience with a family, a reference from a member. We had met the parents, and made an appointment, and when we arrived in the evening almost all of their kids were there. Gradually, one by one, they came and sat down to listen. We taught the Plan of Salvation, and everyone participated and asked questions, and the next day, one of them actually came to church. 

Food wise: I'm loving the little corner shops. Although they will be my undoing when none of my skirts fit anymore! Also, this week we ate Mexican style chinese food that an sister prepared for us. Half the plate is full of noodles, half the plate is full of rice. And then, the best part, there are tortillas on the table to eat them with. I'm going to come home and not know what to do - there won't be tortillas or chile. 

This week I learned something important about the Spirit: you have to pay close attention. There's a part in Preach my Gospel that talks about listening to investigators to discern their needs, and the jist of it is: This will take all of your concentration - don't expect it to be easy. Nobody said anything in life would be easy, least of all the mission, but the Lord doesn't put expectations higher than we can manage. If He expects a lot from us, it´s because we have a lot to give.

Love and mangos,
Hermana Juliana