Monday, April 21, 2014

Week 9 - April 21, 2014

Hermana Juliana at your service, to try to answer as many as possible. When was the earthquake? Because one sister did mention feeling an earthquake on Saturday, but neither my companion or I felt anything. 

Mom: Cacahoatán is pronounced Ka-ka-wa-tan. I have been told that is so named because cacao is a product of the area. I don't technically have a street address, but I live close to the corner of Calle central oriente and Avenida 15 norte. Good luck :) 

Something that made me laugh: Last week when we bought food, we bought some packages of beans that say, in English, Mexican Style Beans. Last I checked, yes, I am in Mexico.  

Easter is a whole week of celebrating 'Semana Santa'. Some traditions here in Chiapas: 1. A march carrying a model of the Christ, the Virgin and the cross to the park to reenact the Crucifixion. 2. (and this one makes less sense) men of all ages cross dress and put on masks and dance through the streets asking for money. They also stand on either side of the highway and pull on a rope when cars pass, also to ask for money. Everybody has vacations and the city basically shuts down. 
I personally didn't really do anything for Easter, but yes, it is a big deal here. 

I'm hoping this week the pictures will upload, they're being super slow. One of them is a picture of what we did for fun - we played basketball with some of the youth. It was pretty fun. You'll laugh at this next part: they were all expecting me to be good because 'I'm from ''there'''. HA. but it was fun, even though we could only play a little bit at a time because the sun is so HOT. 

No pictures so far, I'll give it another try in another email. 

Scripture for you this week: Mosiah 26:27. Also, something cool. A missionary in the Book of Mormon received a really powerful promise that I always love to share with people, Helaman 10:4-5. I realized this week that his tireless work was 7-10 years, based on the years at the very bottom of the page. Wow. I don't know about you, but that hit me hard. We can never stop becoming better, working harder, doing more. There are so many blessings our Father in Heaven is waiting to give us. 

Love always, 


Hermana Juliana