Monday, September 15, 2014

Week 30 - September 15, 2014 - Spanish is my favorite language. It makes so much more sense than English

I mean, look at the word taught, for example. How on earth does it make sense that it sounds the same as TOT? On the other hand, chilaquiles, or empanadas or salchica are all pronounced exactly the way they're spelled. Obviously you have to know what sound each letter makes, but once you know it in one word it doesn't change from word to word like other tricky languages I could mention. Plus, there's no weird GH's anywhere.

I did do more this week than observe pronunciation. This week as actually absolutely fantastic. I spent a day in a trio while my companion went to prove to the government that she exists, the ward had the noche Mexicana, (see attached photo. Clearly we are as mexican as mexican gets. ignore the height differences), I didn't get transfered, AND Jennifer was baptized!

1. Being in a trio. Hermana Aldas and Hermana Zuniga are winding down to the end of their missions, and being with them was super fun. One quick anecdote - I was standing between them, about to cross a fairly busy street. When we finally went, they each grabbed one of my hands, and I laughed and said, Ahh, what good parents. They both were kind of confused, because they hadn't realized that the other one had done the exact same thing. We thought it was especially funny because of how much taller I am than both of them. Kids do usually end up taller than their parents though! (sorry mom)


2. Noche Mexicana: SO FUN.

There were talents and DELICIOUS pork (with green sauce) and lots of pictures. A sister in the ward gave us rebosos (shawls) which are the beautiful red white and green ones you see in the picture. A few of our investigators came as well, and several members invited friends. I also learned that there is always a neighborhood called Miguel Hidalgo because he was the priest who sparked the revolution. I have some history homework to do next August, I still need to figure out who Emiliano Zapata was. 

3. Having been in Cacahoatan for 6 months, I get another month and a half here! I'm pretty excited, because we met some great people just yesterday that we'll be getting to know better this week, and Mary is getting baptized on Friday and I don't want to miss that. I feel so blessed to be here, it's a beautiful place with amazing people.

4. Jenny was baptized on Saturday
We had a mini panic attack when we got to the chapel a half hour early and the baptismal font was empty, and there was no water in the whole building. It turned out fine though, and all the youth had their mutual right afterward, so there were lots of pictures and hugs.

This week I learned how important it is to enjoy every moment. I'm about to hit seven months - I've got less than a year left. So I'm going to love it. I love being a missionary and I love my Father in Heaven. He doesn't mess up, and we're doing His work, so if we're paying attention to the Spirit and being obedient, everything will be just as it's supposed to be.

Have a lovely week, I love you!
Hermana Juliana